Monday 15 March 2010

Main Task - Music Magazine Double Page Spread Second Draft

I made relatively few changes for this draft, but I feel that they definitely improve the quality of the double page spread and were worth doing.
The first change was the re-positioning of the pull-quote so that it was directly within a single column rather than bridging across two. I did this because I thought that in its previous position, although more interesting, the text box mucked up the alignment of the text so that it looked perfectly square on the right hand side but jagged on the left hand side. Moving it solved this, and it also meant that all the text in the columns was moved down slightly, therefore achieving my other objective of making the text closer to Kerry's head. I did in fact add more text as well to make the text get even closer to her, but it ended up detracting from the photo of her face and also was difficult to read as there was only one word a line.
The next thing I changed was the cutting out and text wrapping of Kerry Anne's main photo. It was fairly unnoticeable, hence why I didn't mention it in the post itself, but some of Kerry's arm and front had been made completely white instead of their actual colour when I used the clipping path tool to too great an extent. I rectified that issue in this draft by using different clipping tool settings (previously I used detect edges, this time I used Alpha Channel) and making sure carefully that I had only cut out what needed to be cut out. Also doing this meant that the outer edges of Kerry's body and hair were cut out more smoothly, since it is more difficult in inDesign to manually cut and smooth things than it is in Photoshop.
Other than some very minor text editing, the final change I made was to change the font used in the standfirst and contextual paragraph from Georgia to Book Antiqua. I did this because I wanted to retain the formal impression that Georgia gave off but wanted something a bit less obtrusive and bulky. When one compares them side-by-side the difference can easily be seen, or at least I can easily see it.
Hopefully this is of a high enough standard to be my final draft, but I will need to get opinions from my teacher and classmates before I can decide whether this really is the case.

No comments: