Saturday 2 January 2010

Magazine Title Fonts - Part One

The type of font used for the title of a music magazine is very important, as it is one of the main factors that contributes to a magazine's brand identity and house style. Therefore I had to put a lot of work into choosing a suitable font. I decided that to get a more unique-looking font I should search for some on the internet rather than just using the default ones already on Photoshop. The main website I used to look for fonts was dafont, but I also looked on some other websites like fontstock and urbanfonts. I searched through the different categories and then downloaded and installed any fonts that I thought would be appropriate so that I could sample them in Photoshop.

To the left is the first page of title designs that I came up with. I tried a variety of different fonts and style effects on Photoshop and came up with eight very different designs. The first design used the font Arista 2.0 and I applied a variety of Photoshop effects to it. Despite liking it, it definitely wasn't in keeping with the type of music magazine I wanted to create, rather it seemed to me to have some sort of superhero aesthetic. The second design used the font Gill Sans and I applied a rainbow colour effect to it using the gradient overlay tool. I decided that the font was too thin and boring to be used and that the rainbow colours were overly exciting, and just came across as childish and tacky. The third design was made with Copperplate Gothic Bold and I applied a coloured drop shadow to it to see how it would look. And the result was... that it looked repulsive. I decided that the font, colours and effects would all be inappropriate for my music magazine. The fourth design is different to the rest, as rather than keep it as text I rasterized it so that I could create a splatter effect like the one in this video. Unfortunately it didn't look as good as I had hoped, and it was at this point I decided to try and keep the colour schemes simpler, and also that I realised the title would look better with the letters spaced out from each other. The next title design used the font Alte Haas Grotesk, and I applied several effects to it to make it look how it does. I must say that I do quite like how this one turned out, despite it not being suitable for my music magazine. One problem I had with it is that it was too thin, so for the last three designs I used a larger font. The font used for the last three was Oceania, and I used it for all three as I decided it was the best I had seen so far. It had just the right weight and was simple enough to not look gaudy, while not being at all boring. I tried a variety of effects and colours on the three designs but didn't end up with something I was happy enough with to use on my magazine. It was at this point I came across a tutorial to create metal-type text using Photoshop, and thought that I'd have a go at creating something similar.

No comments: